Activities at Lake Piburger See
A nature treasure for all the family
Not far from the village of Oetz, Lake Piburger See nestles in the picturesque forest and mountain landscape of the lower Ötztal.
Originally created by a huge rockslide, it has become the center of various winter activities.
Winter hiking around Lake Piburger See
It's not that easy to find walks that are suitable for the whole family. After all, even the little ones want to experience something new, but please don't choose a route which is too long for little feet - Lake Piburger See makes a really perfect destination. The landmark of Oetz is especially varied in winter: scenic walks lead towards the lake or along its romantic shore where mighty Acherkogel peak is reflected in the warmer months. Now ambitious ice skaters are gliding on the frozen lake, enhancing the magic of this place.
Lake walking tours at a glance:
- Andreas-Hofer-Weg: from the information office in Oetz into the valley along Ötztaler Ache mountain brook until you reach Wellerbrücke bridge. Then towards Lake Piburger See, the hamlet of Piburg and back again to Oetz. (Walking time: approx. 2 hours)
- Elsinger Weg – Piburger See – Piburg: from the information office in Oetz across Piburgerbrücke bridge, then turn left into the broad forest trail (Elsinger Weg) leading up to Lake Piburger See. Follow the left lakeshore to Piburg and return to Oetz. (Walking time: approx. 1.5 – 2 hours)
- Sautens – Haderlehn – Piburger See: above the church of Sautens you follow the toboggan run until you reach the cart road to Haderlehn. Proceed towards Ferienhof Haderlehn and continue ion the forest road to Piburg. Return on Elsinger Weg to Oetz anf further on to Sautens. (Walking time: approx. 1.5 hours)
Lakeside alternative: Tobogganing fun and natural ice rink
The toboggan run covered with snow-making systems is particularly suitable for children as it leads directly to the lake. Due to its length of about 1 kilometer it's a quite easy and comfortable ascent for the whole family. Toboggans can be rented directly at Gasthof Piburger See or Hotel Seerose. Tip for night owls: the toboggan run is illuminated until 11.00 pm. A shuttle bus takes you directly from Oetz to the toboggan run.
Facts on the toboggan run at Lake Piburger See:
- Length: 1 kilometer
- Walking time: approx. 10 minutes
- Floodlights: until 11.00 pm
- Shuttle bus from Oetz and back
- Toboggan rental: Gasthof Piburger See and Hotel Seerose
Especially nice: The frozen lake is also a natural ice rink (weather permitting, minimum thickness of ice layer required, use at your own risk) which can be perfectly combined with a fun-packed toboggan adventure for free.