Ötztal Trek Stage 9
Ötztal Verified partner Explorers Choice
- Route: Climbing
- Requirements: Step safety, dizziness;
- Mountain path black
- Difficulty: exposed passages on the ridge, stable weather conditions particularly important
- Equipment: normal hiking equipment
- Huts: Brunnenkogelhaus, Rasthaus at the Timmelsjoch (no overnight stay), Gasthaus Hochfirst
- Acess / exit point: from Sölden over the Fiegl's hut in the Windach Valley to the Brunnenkogelhaus (about 5 h ascent, approx. 4 h descent);
alternatively bus from Sölden to Fiegl's Hütte - then another 3 h ascent to Brunnenkogelhaus (about 2 h descent)
Track typesShow elevation profile
Rest stopsBrunnenkogel Hut
ausgesetzte Passagen am Grat, stabile Wetterverhältnisse besonders wichtig
Tips and hints
Did you know that…
... Timmelsjoch is the highest pass crossing of the Eastern Alps?
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
AN EXCEPTIONAL HIGH ELEVATION TRAIL
Ascend from Gasthof Hochfirst to Timmelsjoch. From Rasthaus Timmelsjoch the trail leads past several small lakes, gently ascending to Wannenkar. Hiking past Wannenkar, Rötenkar and Wietenkar, you walk in switchbacks through steep, boulder-strewn terrain up to Wannenkarsattel. Follow the constantly climbing ridge trail to Wilde Rötespitz, the tour‘s highest point. Awe-inspiringviews include Ötztal’s Wildspitze, North Tirol’s highest mountain, Weißkugel and Zuckerhütl in the Stubai Alps!
A slightly descending path takes you down to Brunnenkogelhaus at the peak of Vorderer Brunnenkogel. Hiking down to Sölden you take the trail via Brunnenberg Alm (approx. 3.5 h) or Fiegl‘s Hütte in Windachtal (approx. 2 h): here you can take the Windach bus line to Sölden (you save about 2 h). You reach the next stage by public bus from Sölden to Obergurgl.
Public transportEnjoy a both comfortable and relaxing train ride to the train station in Ötztal Bahnhof. You get off the train in ÖTZTAL Bahnhof where you change to a public bus or local taxi. The current bus schedule can be found at: http://fahrplan.vvt.at
By roadObergurgl-Hochgurgl is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingIn Obergurgl-Hochgurgl the following parking facilities are available:
- Car park Village center Obergurgl (in front of the church on the right, behind the multi-purpose building where the information office is located)
- Parking lot with coin entrance Parking Place entrance - valley station Festkoglbahn, free of charge
- Parking Hochgurglbahn valley station, free of charge - no parking at night
- Parking Top Mountain Crosspoint, free of charge
- Parking Hochgurgl, free of charge (very small parking)
EquipmentIt is recommended to wear hiking equipment such as breathable and weather-adapted outdoor clothing, ankle-high mountain boots, wind, rain and sun protection, cap and possibly gloves. It is also important to have enough food, as well as a first-aid package, a cell phone and a hiking map.
- Show images Hide images
- 5 Waypoints
- 5 Waypoints