The road cycling tour across 2509 meter high Timmelsjoch, Austria's highest border pass road, leads down to St. Leonhard and is a very special experience. The spectacular high Alpine road travels through Ötztal's mighty glacier world into the vineyards of the South Tyrolean Passeiertal valley and further on to Merano some 2000 meters below. It is a special feeling of freedom when crossing Timmelsjoch Pass. Passionate nature explorers can discover this tranquil north-south road away from the main traffic routes, which is also known as the Alps' "secret gap": It opens up the world of high Alpine mountains from a unique perspective. Striking architectural sculptures in futurist style are shown at five stations along the route, that provide information about the region's nature, history, culture, society and economy. At the road toll station in Hochgurgl there is also the unrivaled Motorcycle Museum, Europe's highest of its kind with some 230 exhibits from more than 100 manufacturers.
Safety informationNational road traffic regulations apply. Generally valid and common rules of conduct.
Please note that there is an increased risk of accidents and injuries in road cycling sports. Despite accurate tour planning, there is always a basic risk. Appropriate tour preparation including endurance sports, suitable training programs and further education as well as personal circumspection considerably reduce accidents and risks.
Safe Alpine Pass Ride on Bicycles
The Timmelsjoch High Alpine Road is a popular sporting challenge for many cycling enthusiasts. Due to this popularity of the pass road as an excursion destination and border crossing point from Ötztal into Passeiertal, there is a high density of traffic especially on weekends.
Special tips for a perfect Timmelsjoch Pass Cycle Tour:
- If you have free rein to plan your bicycle tour, you should tackle the pass road on Saturdays and Sundays not between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. Advantage: Less traffic, more nature enjoyment and focus on your own sports experience.
- For your own safety, handle your bicycle with maximum caution and ride with enough foresight. Both as an individual sportsman/woman and as a group.
- Regardless of whether in the flat countryside or on a high Alpine road: The maxim of mutual consideration and personal responsibility applies to all road users.
Tips and hintsMore details about biking & cycling in Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/biken
By roadSölden is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Sölden:
- Parking lot Postplatz
- parking lot Stiegele
- stair parking
- Giggijochbahn + underground garage
- Gaislachkoglbahn + underground garage
- Parking Hochsölden
- parking garage Hochsölden 1. parking lot
All parking is free during the day.
Parking for several days (eg hike tour):
- Postplatz, Parkticket available at the information Sölden
- Parkgarage Gaislachkoglbahn, Parkticket either online or directly at the cash desk of the Gaislachkoglbahn
EquipmentThe personal cycling equipment must be safe, ready for use and correspond to the respective technical standard. Additionally, road cyclists are strongly recommended to find out more about the planned tours in specialist literature or on site. Complete road cycling equipment is recommended even for very experienced cyclists!
Special tip: Bicycle lighting is advisable for the partially sparsely illuminated tunnels.
- 1 Waypoints
- 1 Waypoints